Monday, August 16, 2004

Spider!

Folks, I belong to a nearly extinct group of individuals who still use a relic called the fountain pen to write! Well, one morning on my way to office, I was about to unscrew the lid of my ink bottle, to fill up my pen, when I noticed something unusual. There was a small intricate web--a spider web connecting the lid of the ink bottle with that of the surface of a framed photo! Well unscrewing the lid of the bottle would result in the breaking of this delicate balance. There it sat, the spider, yellow and brown, right in the center of that paradise it wove for itself! I could don the role of the destructor, and with one swish of my hand would do the job, hours of it labour down the drain! The poor creature thinking the lid of the ink-pot and the frame to be immobile, static objects, built its home on their shoulders. But to me, it was not so. Both the ink pot and the framed picture were mobile, objects to be shifted according to my convenience!!

Mind you friends, I am not particularly fond of spiders or for that matter cobwebs! But what struck me deep was the realization of how this seemingly trivial situation would translate to in my life. Often we build the fabric and foundation of our life upon certain assumptions, certain beliefs. Seldom do we realize that they are merely ghosts or apparitions that we often take for granted so naively! Just like the poor spider, most of us take many elements of our life to static, whereas we are quite taken aback when we realize that in reality they are not! It's sad to realize that what may be static and stable in one persons frame of reference may not be so in another persons case. Perhaps it is this clash between two contrasting ideals in our society that is the cause of all discord prevalent. Man retaliates whenever the safe sanctum of his beliefs are intruded upon, but seldom is able to withstand higher forces in the society. Well, if I had dislodged the web of the spider in contempt, the poor creature would definitely struggle, but with no effect. So would a common man, struggle against the onslaught of his circumstances, seldom with any effect. Just like the unfortunate spider he would try to build the web of his existence on other 'seemingly' safe pillars!

You definitely may be wondering what after all this sermon, I had ultimately done with the spider and its web! I decided to allow nature intervene (my mother, the servant maid, wind ...) and decide the future of the creature. As of then I took refuge in a ball pen compromising the need to fill my fountain pen! Though hypocritical, I really doubt whether I would have done the same, if the spider had built its web on my wall!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aslan said...

very thoughtful of you, i must say!! u shud probably join the SPCA.. unlike me! i wud've just gone about my work n' filled my fountain pen. more important to me than.. a spider! well.. its KARMA that made it a spider in the first place. probably sinned real bad sometime to be born a spider. i might've even killed it to accelarate its ascent on the food chain ;) heh.. cruel, eh? i'm a lion after all!

"The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't get the ball from me!" - Charles Barkley

3:33 PM  
Blogger pr!tz said...

Very insightful..

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home