Tuesday, February 01, 2005

All's in a name!

Whats in a name? Say most folks. But I guess its more like having a good name and living with it, or have a bad one, and die a thousand deaths!! Hmm...lemme tell you about the most peculiar plight of my close buddy "Chinku". Well, I am not referring to a pet rabbit,cat or dog as most people presume the name refers to! Chinku is my friend from kindergarten times and we've been thick buddies for the past 22 years! His parents, I guess, did'nt realise that their toddler would grow up one day and handle positions of importance where his name would be referred to several times in official circles.

Imagine the plight of my dear buddy's would-be children! When someone enquires about their fathers' name,an answer something to the tunes of "Chinku", will stun most enquirers !! :-)
Well, I still see him blush through all the colors of a rainbow when most people insist in asking what his official name is! They simply cant seem to digest that his true official name is Chinku, and ahem perhaps justifiably! Guess there's quite a lot in having a decent, pronouncable name!

5 Comments:

Blogger Vaishnavi Tekumalla said...

Poor Chinku!
A friend of mine was called "Tinku". His folks woke up when he was 10, though and changed his name. :)
Actually, it's really weird. I know a senior person at work called "Pinky". Imagine saying, "Yes, Pinky" to her at some serious meeeting!!

6:30 PM  
Blogger QuaTros said...

Hmm..Vaish, your friend 'Tinku' is a lucky guy! Hope people realise the long term consequences of naming their kid! :-)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Summer of 69 said...

So true...and there are people who have to go through life with names like 'baby'..

5:54 AM  
Blogger aa said...

Hi, QuaTros! Thanks for always giving your thoughts about those things I call poetry.

As for your post, I agree that your friend will always have a hard time explaining his name, regardless of what his position is in life, people see names as a summary of who we are and, more often than not, use it as a primary tool for judging a person.

Anyhoo, Happy Valentine's Day in advance. =D

6:35 PM  
Blogger Ad astra per aspera said...

There's this really pretty girl at my workplace and her name is Vabby...I was like huh?
then there's one more gal with a perfectly decent name like Pooja... but she insists everyone calls her 'Poo' I mean why would anyone willingly call themselves something that suspiciously sounds like ... and definitely rhymes with loo.*rolling eyes.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home